UPDATED: 08 AUGUST 2020
Sent by:- Esther (Lewis) Hatch (1874-1970) in Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
To:- Lizzie- Elizabeth Ann (Rowlands) Thomas (1883-1910) in Glyneath, Glamorgan, Wales
My Dear Lizzie,
I send you this word hoping it will find you improved. I cannot tell you how sorry we all are to hear you are so poorly. I do wish your dear Tom was with you and dear little Roland.
Of Tom seems to be very well contented but he misses you very much Lizzie. I am trying to do as you asked me treating him the very best-I xxx he has splendid health.
I do hope you soon will be better. Your dear mother must certainly feel disappointed.
With mother is the best when you are sick.
- 1.Post card is undated. It was sent between August 1910 & October 1910.
- 2.According to the 1910 United States Federal Census, Lizzie was living at 1906 Ninth Street, Altoona Ward 11, Blair, Pennsylvania.
- 3.Lizzie sailed back to Wales with Roland on the Maurentania in August 1910 leaving her husband Tom in Altoona.
- 4.Lizzie died on the 3rd October 1910 in Glyneath, Glamorgan, Wales at the home of her parents.
- 5.It may have been the case that Lizzie had died before the postcard was received.
- 6.Photograph of 12th Street was processed (including colouring) in England, sent to New York and then distributed in Altoona!
Esther (Lewis) Hatch (1874-1970) - she died at 1008 21st Avenue, Altoona. She was a cousin of Tom's stepmother Mary Elizabeth Bowles (1854-1918)* who died in Mountain Ash, Wales
Lizzie- Elizabeth Ann (Rowlands) Thomas (1883-1910) *
Tom Thomas William Thomas (1881-1923)*
Roland William Rowland Thomas (1909-1994)*
Mother- Ruth Thomas Rowlands (1862-1932)
* Profiles to follow